Monday, June 14, 2010
Perceived Racism
I feel like I’ve blogged about this before, but I can’t seem to find anything, so I’m going to write about it again. How much of racism is real vs. perceived? I know in some cases it’s obvious, but in other circumstances, how do you know someone is actually being racist and not just mean or rude? I guess I’ve been lucky, or maybe naive, but I don’t think I’ve ever been on the receiving end of racism (except for reverse-racism at the airport, of course). For example, at a fancy restaurant, if I’m seated slower than other people or at a bad table, I assume they had reservations, or it’s because I’m young or not dressed well, not because I’m Asian. At a nice store, if I’m not readily assisted by a sales associate, I assume they are just lazy or rude, or again, because I’m young or not well dressed, not because I’m Asian. Again, I understand if it’s overt – like someone saying “I hate you because you’re slanty eyed” or “you can’t come here because you’re yellow” – but I’m talking about more subtle situations – like the ones mentioned above. Some would assume they are being discriminated against. So my question is how much of racism is really just perception?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
WHAT? you've never been on the receiving end of racism??? Come on now...you live in ATLANTA.
True you can't assume someone is racist because service is slow or something. I guess you'll never know for sure unless they express it to you. If you assume you're not being seated first because you're Asian when there are other possible justifications for that, then that's just stupid. But I do think there are cases where it is blatantly racism without being said. And then again there are some overly sensitive people out there who will call racist every chance they get. But I like to think Asians are not that bad when it comes to doing that.
asians are the worst offenders and are probably the most racist people i know. just walk through chinatown in san francisco and see how they treat non-asians. it's just sad and a non-asian saying that kind of thing in public would never get away with it.
Yes, Asians are definitely racist, but I think she meant Asians are not that bad when it comes to being overly sensitive and calling racism at every chance. You've been a victim of racism in Atlanta? What happened??
Post a Comment