Saturday, February 20, 2010

Blocking

Andy and I are taking an improv class, where we are learning about the basics of improv and group dynamics. It is definitely out of my comfort zone, but I have to admit, it is actually pretty fun. A couple weeks ago we learned about "blocking," which is saying no to someone's idea or denying what they are trying to put forward. Here are some examples:

A: Let's go for a swim!
B: No, I hate swimming.

A: Let's go for a swim!
B: We can't, the pool is empty.

A: Look at my new pet rabbit!
B: Rabbits are stupid.

A: Look at my new pet rabbit!
B: That's not a rabbit. That's a pig.

They are kind of funny, but it shuts down possibilities and prevents the scene from advancing. We practiced doing some blocking scenes and I was really good at it. Andy realized that I am a natural "blocker." He always knew that saying no comes easily to me, but loves having a term to put with it now. Haha!

At the end of every class we play a "99 ___ walk into a bar" game. Here are some good ones I came up with (after class):

99 cars walk into a bar.
The bartender says, "You're just an accident waiting to happen."

99 meals walk into a bar.
The bartender asks, "Why are you all smiling?"
The meals say, "Because we're happy meals!"

99 straws walk into a bar.
The bartender says, "You suck!"

No comments: